17.9.07

Hike Planning Day 1

Tonight I began planning the hike. Here's the first 3 days.

Day 1 and 2
The first morning will start early at the Mexican border. A short moment for pictures at the Southern Terminus of the PCT monument and time for a few words written into the register. Then I will begin a 17 mile hike to Lake Moreno campground. This hike is an up and down gradual grind. The first 2 miles include a 500 foot descent followed by a 1000' climb over the next 6 miles. At this point I'll have beautiful views for the next mile of the next 1000' descent and 1000' foot climb over the next 7 miles. I have an opportunity to camp at the base of this canyon but hope I will make it up to the peak as the Lake Moreno Campground is 3/4 mile from the peak. I will camp in Moreno till morning of day 3.

Day 3
On this day I will start early on an 18 mile hike that will take me grinding up 3000'. It is a full day of nothing but unrelenting climbing. The first of a few along the trip. Fortunately this is only 3000' up. I will camp in Lower Morris Meadow where the guide says a beautiful camp awaits.

With mostly drought years recently, I can plan on few water sources. There are three campgrounds along these first 35 miles of the trip that I can count on to have water. There may be a seasonal spring or two, but nothing guaranteed and therefore I cannot plan for these. Therefore I will carry at least 8 liters of water per day. This is roughly 16 pounds of water per day. This will be on top of the weight of my pack, supplies, food, and clothes. Probably putting my pack around 35-40 pounds for this stretch.

Alternatively, a solid winter will provide water, but will mean the hills that I summit will have snow to slog through.

The first 200 miles of the hike are often the proving ground. It is all desert and mountains. If I can make it through this section, I can start feeling confident about my chances.

No comments: