28.3.07

Mt. Whitney





What an amazing place this is. We stayed the night in Lone Pine which is maybe 20 minutes from the Mt. Whitney trailhead. The trail up Mt. Whitney is a definite overnighter (although people do it in one day), so we jost hit the first 3 miles, which include a 2200 feet altitude gain. Stunning rock formations everywhere, slight snow, waterfalls, and that amazing alpine forest feel. This is truly a remarkable place to hike. Also, for us this was quite a workout. The last half mile or so we took 5 minute breaks every 100 yards. The little fella in the pic (Blue Jay) followed us for a mile or so and sat within 2 feet of each of us at times.

So anyways, it was Myself, Mom, Dad, and Bobbi and we had a blast! Boy were we tired at the end of this trip though. The PCT travels right past this site and I am more eager everytime I hike.

I bought some new equipment, a water jug, drink/soup mug, the worlds most difficult to open velcro on a water tight plastic bag, nylon stuff sack, and a first aid kit. Tomorrow night I'll attend the Map and Compass class at REI Rancho Cucamonga as well as purchasing my weekender backpack. I'll try to post more details tomorrow or Friday on the new bag.

Bobbi and I plan to hike in Wrightwood this weekend and it should be beautiful with the new layer of snow that came down on Monday night.

No comments: