30.4.07

ADZPCTKO!!

Okay, so Bobbi and I both had to work Saturday morning, but we made it out to the Kickoff event in time to have an impact on me. No, I won't talk about how friendly a community of hikers they are, because they're like any group of humans, mostly friendly and some snobby. I won't talk about the lightweight gear that was for sale, but holy crap you can get light stuff. A rundown of events is even out of my thoughts right now. What I found was shear determination.
This determination I found in myself. On Saturday night they showed a "film" which was essentially a fancy computer presentation of photos from last years "graduating class" of hikers. This was all the photos they took on their hikes along the PCT (some all the way through, some not) divided into four sections; Southern California, Northern California, Oregon, and Washington. It was unbelievable. Literally species upon species of flower I had never seen before! Awe-inspiring views! And the utter weight of a thru-hike that would take someone through that many different environments. As each picture progressed I was able to understand how long this little walk is. I saw hundreds of photos and no two were of the same place. I can't think of the word for my thoughts, but as I thought of how much work it would be I was more and more relieved to know I had taken on this task. This is something I can conquer and this is something that will be a huge part of me. This trek is that thing I have always wanted to do and didn't know it was there. I am determined and I am resolute.
Some people will truly understand this next part and others will wonder, but fate really stepped in and confirmed things for me today. You see I was at work and looking for a hat on the REI site to put onto my list of wanted items, because on Sunday we were in REI and Bobbi found me this great hat. As I was looking to put it on my list my mother looked over my shoulder and saw the listing of hats and pointed out that they sold Tilleys. Her next words were, "I have Grandpa's Tilley at home if you want to use it?"
For those of you that don't know, my Grandpa enjoyed hiking and the outdoors. I still remember watching him cook us spaghetti with his backpacking stove on a hike we all took once when I was young. Grandpa would have loved the hike up the PCT and I sure would have loved this opportunity to spend six months with the man. I will wear his hat and hopefully he'll walk along with me.

2 comments:

april said...

you got me on the 'adz' part.

thehairlesscat said...

Aw yes...ADZPCTKO!

Annual Day Zero Pacific Crest Trail Kick Off!

It's the weekend kickoff for the thru-hikers each year. Although, many people start the trail before the kickoff.

I was hoping that would grab attention.