15.4.07

New Toys


Well, today I got the REI Half Dome 2 HC Tent. It's a little bit heavier than some of the 1 and 2 person tents on the market, but here's the thing about 1 and 2 person tents. Generally 2 people can't actually fit into these tents. The 1 person tents are actually "1 small person who never wants to situp" tents and the 2 person tents are "myself and a friend of legally small stature really enjoy sleeping on our sides and being miserably uncomfortable" tents. So I got this little gem because 2 people can fit in it and sleep if they want to. Why is this important? Well, let me tell you this first, the tent with all equipment weighs 5 pounds 11 ounces. Many tents get down around 4 pounds while still being good tents for most weather conditions, so you might say that this tent weighs 1 pound 11 ounces more than those tents. Ahhh, but here's the exciting part, if two people can sleep in it, it means 1 person doesn't have to carry a tent. Thus the weight can be distributed in 2 packs via seperating the tent parts or trading off some other items. Therefore this tent is actually about a pound and a half less weight.

Even better is the price. I looked at a lot of $250 - $300 dollar tents, and this tent comes in at $109 on sale this week. Now, I just gotta set it up and sleep in the backyard to find out how cool and exciting my new tent is.

So, who wants to sleep in the tent? Come on I know someone does. Better yet, bring your tent and we'll setup a little hippie commune in my backyard!

No comments: